To prepare for the next phase of the makeover, I demoed the old work bench that has served me well for the last 20+ years. Fortunately, it was built with drywall screws and came apart easily. I only had to pull the 6 nails that I used to...
To prepare for the next phase of the makeover, I demoed the old work bench that has served me well for the last 20+ years. Fortunately, it was built with drywall screws and came apart easily. I only had to pull the 6 nails that I used to fasten it to the wall. I called a friend and he came over and loaded it up. In a week or so, I’ll go help him set it up in his garage.
I cleaned up the area and painted the part of the wall that I could get to. Then with a lot of pushing and pulling, I managed to move the toolbox down the wall to where I wanted it to sit. It is heavy and thank goodness the heavy duty casters worked great. Then I painted the wall that had been blocked by the toolbox.
The wall is starting to look pretty good. Fresh paint always helps! :-) I have a blank canvas! :-)
Part of my makeover plan is to build and install cabinets above the rolling toolbox. With the toolbox in place, I was ready to start building the two cabinets that will be mounted on the wall above it.
I bought a couple of sheets of Birch plywood from Clark's Hardwood Lumber Co. – a local lumber distributor. They have a lot of hardwood to chose from. The birch was $40/sheet which is as good as I can get in my area for 3/4 inch A/B plywood.
Here is a pic of my “plan”. I had to make a couple of adjustments on the fly so take the dimensions with a grain of salt! :-)
Each cabinet has three components.
Each cabinet will have six compartments for storing plastic “tackle trays” which have everything from screws to bolts…and more. With 12 compartments, I can keep the most used trays within easy reach and have the others stored for use if needed.
Immediately above these compartments will be six compartments with 1/4 inch plywood dividers. These will be used to store drills/ drivers, nail guns, etc. Again, all within easy reach.
Above those compartments will be a storage area with shelf pins so shelves can be adjusted to whatever height I need. I am pretty stoked about this design. I think it is going to work out great.
Later I will build the face frames and add doors to the top portion.
So, let’s get to cutting, routing, painting and get ‘em put together.
I’d like to mention here that to break down the plywood sheets, I used a track saw that I bought recently with this project in mind. It is the CS55 model made by Scheppach. It looks identical to the Grizzly model in every way. I also bought the 55 inch track from Grizzly to give me over 100 inches of saw capability. All parts fit like they came out of the same box. :-) So far, I haven’t had any problems with the saw or track pieces and I am getting more comfortable with the saw with each use.
Here are the two sides of the first cabinet with my layout lines marked for routing. I have an exact width dado jig made similar to the one The Wood Whisperer built. Thanks for the inspiration, Marc. I used a 1/2 inch flush trim bit to cut the 3/4 inch and the 1/2 inch dadoes. For the 1/4 inch dadoes, I switched to a guide bushing and used a 3/16 router bit made specifically for undersize plywood. I took a lot of time to layout where the dadoes needed to go, and fortunately for me, all worked out perfect. I guess I was just lucky.
After drilling the shelf pin holes, I was ready to paint and assemble it.Here it is ready to hang. Touch up painting will come later.
Here is the cabinet hanging on the wall before I moved the toolbox.
Trial fit with some of my tools and tackle trays.
This pic is after I relocated the toolbox.
When my friend came over, he helped me scoot the cabinet over a couple of inches so it is now in the right spot.
Next up is some electrical mods. I am going to put in a couple of receptacles connected with 1/2 inch EMT conduit.
Stay tuned. more coming soon.