It’s always said that the only thing constant in life is change. Artists, especially those in the R&B genre, know this to be true. When the sounds of artists such as Jodeci, Boyz II Men and New Edition are remembered as treasured m...
It’s always said that the only thing constant in life is change. Artists, especially those in the R&B genre, know this to be true. When the sounds of artists such as Jodeci, Boyz II Men and New Edition are remembered as treasured moments in R&B history, it becomes difficult for current day acts to hold up to the standard of some of the greats.
One man in particular that’s doing his part of holding up to those standards is none other than singer and Grammy-nominated songwriter, Sterling Simms. Now signed to RCA Records, and 5 years after the release of his debut album, Yours, Mine & The Truth, Simms is back with the new single “I Know Love” featuring Pusha T.
With his sophomore album 11 Missed Calls due out later this year, Sterling has been making it his point to give us the R&B sound that we’ve been missing. We recently got the chance to catch up with the heartthrob during his busy schedule to discuss his upcoming album, thought process behind it, how he feels about Marsha Ambrosius and the evolution of Sterling Simms thus far.
Peep our interview below:
How has working on this album been?
It’s been a dream come true. I think I finally have – in my mind – the perfect album and the perfect label to help support it and to help put it out. I love it. 11 Missed Calls is my baby. It took us a little over a year to complete only because I was very…I wanted to be very strategic with the songs that we did, the production that I used and you know, it’s concept driven so we had to wait until the album really flushed itself out.
I know that you’ve been working with Pop and Oak for a long time, and now they’ve become some of the most sought out after producers. How is working with them now and how much of the album did they do?
They did 85% of the project. It’s almost not fair to other producers. There are a lot of producers that I have great relationships with, but Pop and Oak are family – more or less. I’ve known Oak for over 10 years and I’ve known Pop for close to 7. It’s almost not fair to other people because they know so much about me, so they know exactly what I’m gonna like, what I’m not gonna like, [and] the headspace that I’m in. You know a lot of times if I’m going through something at home and I just want to flush it out, I talk to them. We have honest conversations so they’re able to translate how I feel musically, which is their one-up on a lot of people.
Sure, that’s understandable. You mentioned that they did 85% of the album. Who did the other 15% go to?
I worked with Fisticuffs, they did the single “I Know Love” featuring Pusha T, and I also worked with DJ Camper.
Speaking of “I Know Love”, what made you use that as the lead single from the album?
I think it’s the perfect set-up to tell the story of the album. It’s an emotional record – if you’ve heard the record you can see that I’m going through a little bit of an emotional roller coaster with the record. But it’s an honest conversation with me and a young lady that I’m talking to. It comes from an honest place – it’s gritty, it’s soulful – you know what I’m saying? It’s a different look for myself because I actually wanted to do something different. I wanted to show a little vulnerability with the next record I put out and you know, just show an emotional side of me. I’m not just always in the club all the time, I don’t just party…it’s not always a good time with me, you know? Although it is a good time with me most of the time [laughs]. This just showcases a different point of view for my fans and my listeners and just give them a different side of me. It’s a great starting piece for exactly what’s to come on the album.
Great! I’m a fan of the song and I’ve been a fan of your sound for a wh